Friday, June 18, 2010

Editing CSS in the Template Designer

It APPEARS easy (lol) to tweak the CSS code in the Template Designer.
I got the blockquote code from my old template and pasted it into the Advanced, Add CSS section.



That worked.

BUT
Tried that with Table coding and it messed up my sidebar.
(Must have Table code formatting in my double column sidebar.)
So I'm leaving Tables alone, for now.
I don't use them much.

In the Background section, under image, there are tons of free images to use.
I'm wondering if there are any restrictions on use?
For example, I might want to change the color of the image or maybe edit some other part of it.

Background image filesize limit is under 250K (see link below).
That can be pretty high compression (low quality) depending on the image used.
I tested one of the texture images (blue one 183KB).
Colorized and resaved.
Filetype jpg compression was about 40-45 in Paint Shop Pro 9.

I think it would be easy enough to substitute your own custom image if you made it the same dimensions and kept it under 250K?

I tried the instructions at the link below. That DID NOT work. Just ignored it.
So, I edited the html. That worked. I don't know if that's a good way to do it or not, though.

LINK:
Editing CSS in the Template Designer

On my old template it used to be really difficult to change the colors in the main posting area.
But with this new Template Designer, it is easy to change the colors.
I'm loving that.
I could change my template every week, just for fun.
I haven't had much trouble switching templates.
But, I would definitely play with that on a test blog FIRST, instead of risking a mess on my main blog.

AND that depends on how much customization you want to do. If you stick to what Blogger offers you, no problems. But is you want to use your own background images and use your own custom coding for things like tables, it's going to be much more difficult.

No comments: